How much does it cost to remodel a laundry room?
The laundry room is an often overlooked space in the home with lots of potential for useful space and storage. Remodel projects can cover a variety of projects, included painting, rewiring, installing shelves, and even tearing down walls. The average cost of remodelling a standard 80 square foot empty space into a laundry room is $6000-$7000. Smaller laundry room remodel projects can be done on your own, but larger projects definitely require the help of a professional.
- Materials: material costs depend on the projects being completed, but most laundry room remodels include:
- New flooring: the most common type of laundry room floor is laminate, which costs $11-$20 per square foot.
- Cabinets and countertops: expect to spend $2000 for granite counters and cherry cabinets, with less premium materials costing less money.
- New washer and dryer: the average cost is $350 for a washer $300 for a dryer.
- Paint: most paint averages $30-$50 per gallon. The amount you'll need depends on how much of the room is getting new paint. Plan on one to three gallons for a standard 80 square foot laundry room.
- Labor: labor requirements and costs will depend on the specifics of your project, but most laundry room remodels include:
- Plumbers: typically charge $45-$65 per hour, depending on the type of project. A laundry room remodel could involve re-plumbing the sink and washer and dryer, which should take one to two days ($360-$1040).
- Carpenters: run around $70 an hour for installing drywall 1 and other cabinets. Depending on the size for the project, they might take one to two days ($560-$1120).
- Painters: charge $20-$35 per hour, but should be able to finish such a small space in just a few hours.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Other possible remodelling elements include a new sink and faucet ($750 total) and a new window ($300-$700 per window).
- Leaking pipes and faulty connectors for your washer and dryer can slow down progress and add an extra $200-$300 plus labor charges to your project total.
- Installing higher-end appliances can increase your cost by up to $1000 per item, but come with extra features like extra cycles, more efficient washing and drying, and higher capacity.
- Expanding the existing space to make a larger laundry room will obviously increase the overall cost. Plan to spend about $250 per square foot you add to the original space.
Additional considerations and costs
- Installing energy-efficient appliances may make you eligible for a tax credit. Consult your appliance specialist or contractor for specific information.
- You likely won't need a permit to remodel your laundry room, but check with your contractor just to be sure.
- Save money by repairing or repurposing items when possible; this can include reworking cabinets or shelves to fit a new room layout.